All images and content are Copyright © by the owner of Football, Sushi, and The Pursuit of Happiness (unless otherwise stated); please do not use or copy without permission.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

To Do or Not To Do

On my way into work this morning I was thinking about my upcoming trip, obviously, and thinking about bringing some things for my hair.  Once upon a time, when my hair was longer, I used to wear scarves in my hair; I'd put them at the top of my head and tie them under my hair in back, so it looked like a headband and there was some of the pretty scarf hanging out the back - the only picture I could find online of what I mean is this:
I absolutely love wearing these in my hair and I tend to go on streaks of wearing them all the time... then not wearing them at all.  So I was thinking Hawaii would probably be the perfect place to rekindle my romance with head scarves.

Then I got to thinking about one time, in high school, I was given instructions on how to wear a do-rag (durag/doorag/du-rag - however you want to spell it) - and it was also explained as to why it's worn.  Let me show you a popular example of what I'm talking about:
You may remember him from such popular films as Napoleon Dynamite?


So... the point, as explained to me, of a do-rag is to create waves in hair - now, without sounding too judgmental or racist here - this doesn't work on the hair of... Caucasians.  It can also be worn to simply protect a hairstyle of braids or something of the sort.  Again, this was how it was explained to me in high school.

So yeah - this is an example of my brain and how it works... I start by thinking about my beautiful head scarves and end up wondering if I should go buy some do-rags to bring to Hawaii.

What do you think?

10 comments:

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I say stick with the headband look. I can never get scarves to stay... either I'm not doing it right or I have a small head or something.

Harley said...

I love the scarves!!! On the subject of the do-rag... the less said about that the better! Ack!!

Anonymous said...

No.

HOWEVER... you could twist a headscarf into a do-rag kinda look.

Check it out:

http://thegloss.com/fashion/how-to-wear-a-summer-headscarf/

Ang said...

Thanks Laura - that top image is beautiful! need to figure that out!

However, I am completely sarcastic when talking about buying a dorag!! my way works beautifully!

Sara Strand said...

I like scarves. ;) But I can't get them to stay in my hair either. I don't know if it's because it's too thick or what. But headbands also don't last in my hair either. Boo.

JerseySjov said...

haha, i wrap my hair when i sleep if i want to wear it down with nice curls, but it's not a look that sees the public eye

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA I definitely caught the sarcasm... but your final picture did manage to inspire me to do some Google searches of more "chic" do-rags.

Ang said...

did you enjoy my final photo? wicked mad photoshop skills yo!

BB Live Updates said...

Love the scarves, I can never get mine to stay in though. I think it has to do with head shape, not sure. As for the doo rag, I got your sarcasm, enjoyed the pic too. On a side note, Phillip wears a bandana in a doo rag form every day for work. He wears it under his hard hat and says it helps keep the sweat from rolling down his face and getting in his eyes. (sometimes in the heat of the summer he has to switch rags several times a day- EWWW!) Another side note (I am wordy today!) Kate wears a bandanna almost every single day to school. She LOVES them! For her slumber party I bought a bunch of white ones and puffy paints, neon paints and glitters and ALL the girls decorated one to take home. They wear them on the same days at school now. That is my Kate! Ok, back to you... do you have a good beach hat? Like a big straw one? or something?.... I am so excited for you and your trip!

Kristi said...

LMAO.... nice do-rag at the end!!! hahahhahahahaha !!! Scarves are cute :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails