All images and content are Copyright © by the owner of Football, Sushi, and The Pursuit of Happiness (unless otherwise stated); please do not use or copy without permission.

Monday, October 6, 2008

Hair today... gone tomorrow.

As I stood in the bathroom here at work with my ponytail in the middle of my head, trying to measure the length of my hair alone, I came up with 18-19 inches.
Being a bit more realistic, I moved the ponytail down to the base of my neck, I came up with roughly 17", again measuring hair as long as mine alone is not an easy task.
I plan to get the official word when I have help.

I've been doing some research on donating hair.  Locks of Love was my first thought; though there are many other programs out there.  Pantene also has a program for hair donation - Beautiful Lengths.
Locks of Love (LoL, for short) has a requirement of 10 inches, as does most other programs.  Pantene's required length is 8 inches.  LoL makes wigs for children, mostly children that suffer from conditions such as Alopecia Areata or burn victims and will not be able to grow hair again.  They do make a fair amount of wigs for children with cancer, but being that their hair will grow back eventually, they try to direct their focus on those who's hair will not.  LoL is a non-profit organization and they do sell some of their donations to help with overhead and other costs; they do not hide that fact.  Its hard to donate knowing my hair may not go to the cause I want it to.  They sell to wig makers and places of the sort and then they go through the hair and use what they can... etc.  There are a lot of websites out there trashing LoL because of how they operate.
I'm not sure how I feel about this, I'd rather donate my hair then have it be tossed in the garbage... but if they are just going to toss it then what is the point?

Pantene's program makes free wigs for women who have suffered from cancer.  I like the thought of that.

There are also lots of websites talking about selling your hair and donating the money.  Another interesting idea...  it's amazing how much people will pay for hair!  Some of the lots I looked at sold for over $1000.00 (a few for over $2K)!!!

I decided this weekend that my hair is bothering me.  If I don't wake up in the middle of the night with my hair strangling me, I wake up laying on it and when I go to move I pull it.  When you are more than half asleep pulling your own hair hurts!  I don't sleep with my hair up either for many reason.. so that is not an option.  There is just nothing to do with it anymore, it's too damn long!  I rarely use anything on my hair either; curling iron, straightener, product, etc.  I've also been seeing a lot of cute shorter hair styles on TV.. and it's got me thinking.
I always want my hair to be long again after I cut it, but I feel like if I were to do this for a good cause I wouldn't really have the right to bitch about it not being long.  Right?

I don't know what to do.  Anyone out there know someone who has donated?  Where did they donate and how was the experience?  Anyone have any other advice for me?

To cut or not to cut... to donate or to sell...

4 comments:

BB Live Updates said...

I have had several friends donate to LOL, and they seemed to view it as a positive experience. In fact my neice did as well. I have never heard of any of them regretting their decision, I would think you would have to look at it as you had done your part to do something for the good of someone else, and let it go from there. (of course after proper initial research, which of course you are already doing.) Your hair is gorgeous, whoever benefits from your donation will be very lucky.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

A hair donation is an incredible gift you can give someone and you would look really cute with shorter hair too! I have friends and their kids who have donated, just not sure where???
Good luck with your decision!

Dana said...

It's just hair for you but it can mean a lot to someone else. Your hair can be annoying you at times but there's somebody out there that wishes they had the annoyance of your long locks. If you do plan on cutting it, I would definitely donate it. Your hair looks very healthy and would be a great donation. I think you would look cute with shorter hair also.

Anonymous said...

Well well well...DEE! This put me in a bad spot. lol. Cause for one..its for a wicked good cause, and how can one defend that? SO..as long as you promise to donate your hair, I wont yell at you;). Hell, I will even put up with you asking me to tell you your hair is getting longer lol. I say go for it! I guess none of your other friends have been around you when you have had short hair huh?? lol...Change is good =).
-Ediggs

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails