All images and content are Copyright © by the owner of Football, Sushi, and The Pursuit of Happiness (unless otherwise stated); please do not use or copy without permission.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Minnesota is my calling

Plinky Prompt: What's the biggest factor for you in deciding where to live?


Once upon a time I was seriously considering moving out of state. Many things factor in as to why I hate Minnesota, mostly the long dark winters; they're enough to drive anyone into depression. It really does help us appreciate the other 3 seasons so much more though.

Anyhow - the main focus behind my leaving Minnesota was a relationship. I could always come home when I wanted and I'd be away from the things I disliked. People would understand; love is a force and something worth changing for. I knew it would be hard to be away from my family, but it was something I was willing to try.

July 21, 2007 - Enter Jordan Lu, my sweet, adorable, loving niece. She is born and my life seems to take a turn. I'm a role model for someone, I'm someones God Mother, I love this kid way too much... how could I ever leave her?

Things become confused in my mind.

I begin to develop strong bonds with my cousins, bonds more than a family tie, bonds that are lasting and real; friendship bonds. How could I ever give this up and move away from people who mean so much to me?

I have a job with part of my family; how do I quit something that was offered to me out of love, appreciation, and knowing I'm right for it?

For some reason, after considering all of these family ties, I still believe I can move and be happy. I still think people would understand, so I continue to think about it, I continue to ponder everything it means.


Somewhere along the lines the relationship ends and thinking back on it, I'm not sure if I could have found true happiness away from my amazingly crazy and beautiful family, maybe it wasn't the right time or maybe I never could.

Jordan continues to grow and develop into her own little person; there is nothing like walking in the door to see her face light up and yell "AUNTIE!!!!!" There is something real special in having a real conversation with a 2.5 year old child.

I don't know what I'd do without family on holiday's; the big Christmas snowstorm scare of 2009 gave me a brief taste of what Christmas Day might be like if I weren't with my family (Thank God I didn't have to find out).

My summers wouldn't be the same without a new annual tradition of going up North for MSA weekend with my beautiful cousins: drinking, eating, laughing, singing Karaoke and getting guys down on one knee asking us to marry them.

My family keeps me here and I'm pretty sure they always will.







3 comments:

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Every now and again, especially during the winter, Dustin and I talk about moving. I really don't think I'd miss the winters AT ALL.

For us, our family is kind of scattered. We don't see either often. I have to drive 3 hours to see my folks alone.

However... I can't imagine not being here. I'm so USED to it. It's HOME, you know?

Ah decisions decisions.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Did you know that when Erick and I first started dating I moved to AZ for a few month during my senior year (student teaching on a reservation) with plans to go back when I graduated college and live and teach there forever. I had a job lined up, a deposit on an apartment, and my moving truck rented. Six weeks before the big move I decided there was too much for me in Minnesota to leave. 11 years later and I haven't looked back!

Shannon said...

I LOVE this!!! And I love you!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails