All images and content are Copyright © by the owner of Football, Sushi, and The Pursuit of Happiness (unless otherwise stated); please do not use or copy without permission.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Two down, Four (I think) to go.  
I watched Episode V this past weekend and left feeling pretty confused.  Not so much the actual story, but the places and people were mixing in my mind.  As I sat here preparing to write - I decided I should read a quick page to refresh my memory and maybe understand a little bit better.  The problem I kept having when trying to think about the plot was the damn movie Space Balls; we watched Space Balls right after Episode V.  Jeff and Steve thought I was ready for it.  I think it was a bad idea for the simple fact that I had a hard time remembering which things happened in which movie.  Didn't help that I was drinking wine and extremely tired during both movies.  

After reading the recap, I'm a little bit more confused by the people and places, but definitely understand the story better.  They sure do jump around a lot in those movies... one ship to another, one world to another - I don't expect that anyone reading this is a huge ... ummm... Star Wars follower (is there a name for Star Wars geeks?  Like Trekies or whatever?) but I would be curious if there is a website with a very simple child like explanation of the worlds and places within these movies.  I'm just lost by it all.  I'm also having trouble remembering what all the people are called and which side they belong to.  I know the dudes in White are on the dark side (right?) - couldn't tell you what they are called though.  The thing that I notice is that generally when the not-so-main characters are on screen they are also on screen with a leading man/woman and I can tell if they are good or bad.  I'll get there eventually.

I was also introduced to Jedi Master, Yoda, in this movie.  What a creepy little dude that is!  I fully understand that he speaks backwards and I can completely put it together to understand what he is saying when he does it... HOWEVER, I cannot understand what he is saying when he talks!  It's like he is drunk and mumbling; I get like every 4 words and have to try to make sense of it myself.  Strange thing is I understand every word when he talks backwards.
(I'll tell ya one thing... this give whole new meaning and an absolute understanding to the words "Jedi Janie"!!!! ...and people wonder why I watch Big Brother)

My last thoughts on this movie; I was absolutely disappointed by the build up of "I am your father" my entire life... only to be let-down when actually seeing it for the first time.  The lack of emotion, the lack of shock... I always visualized that scene to be huge and emotional - I felt nothing but disappointment.  Maybe it was Tommy Boy that built it up so much for me...

oh... I still hate Chewbacca and his annoying cries and R2-D2 and I are falling in love. :)

All of this being said, I am sticking to my plan and I will continue to watch all of the Star Wars movies.  I have the next at my house right now.  You can expect another confused blog soon, I'm sure.  
I am enjoying them; I just think I'll need to watch them all again eventually.


4 comments:

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

You could've started with Episode 1 and watched it in that order, but I guess watching it the way you are is the way it was released!
They get better the more you watch it. Don't forget the era these were made..they were pretty revolutionary for their time.

Dawn said...

I've never been a science fiction fan, and thus have never seen any of these movies either. I actually did TRY to sit down and watch the first one, or the fourth one...whatever. I just couldn't do it. Kudos to you for sticking with it even when you don't understand it. You're a better....yeah...what DO they call Star Wars fans???....than I am.

Ang said...

LOL Dawn... sad thing is... I bet no one will answer that little question.

BB Live Updates said...

The White Dudes are The Clones, and yes they are bad guys.

I too love R2D2! You would have to be inhuman to not... but my absolute fave of all the creepy things on the Star Wars are the Ewoks!!! I would have one for a pet if I could, lol!

Other than that.... I really don't care for these movies as I have expressed earlier... but I do think it is something everyone should sit through atleast once. WTG ang... Keep up the good work. lol.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails