All images and content are Copyright © by the owner of Football, Sushi, and The Pursuit of Happiness (unless otherwise stated); please do not use or copy without permission.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Google Chrome Follow-Up/Review

I figured it was about time to get this post up... I've been taking notes while using Chrome; so far, here is what I've come up with.

I think they are making improvements daily, because the built in spell check didn't work for me at first and now it's working perfectly (knock on wood!)

All in all I think it's pretty dope.  The speed alone is worth any sacrifice you feel you are making.  For example; I was a huge user of the Google Toolbar (I have the hardest time saying that Google Toolbar- say it 5 times fast!) and Chrome doesn't allow for that to be installed yet; It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the speed!  So now I'm starting to wonder if the Google Toolbar is even necessary!?

Chrome, once you download it, imports all your favorites/bookmarks for you and it also will import all your saved passwords, from whatever default browser you are using!
I've noticed a few other things that I wouldn't call Cons, per se - but some things that might be frustrating to some.  First, if you use Hotmail, upon signing in it tells you that some features may not work and suggests you use FireFox, IE, or some other browser - you actually have to click to get past that, it's an extra step that would make me impatient if I were still a Hotmail user.

A few little things that aren't really a big deal, just take some getting used to:

  • Some websites have small fonts - I've only noticed this on eBay thus far - but if you have bad eyes it would suck
  • I have yet to find a pop-out for an easy organization of bookmarks - thought it can be done using the folder; I would say it's not the most 'user-friendly' process
  • When using tabs (which I love and do often) it closes every tab if you close the window - Firefox had an option to be notified when you are closing more than one tab (I often forget that I have more than one open and it sucks when I close something I didn't want to).


I tried to post a blog on myspace and became very frustrated by the fact that I didn't have format (Font, size, etc.) options, and it didn't register my returns or hard returns when publishing.  I had to copy/paste and publish using a different browser.

The OmniBar (formally known to most as an Address Bar) in Chrome can be used as a place to enter your URL or used as a search bar (that eliminates the need for the search box on the Google Toolbar) - which I think is a pretty dope feature and I find myself using that quite a bit!  It obviously uses Google as the search engine :)
There also is no title bar, which provides a bit more room to view websites!

So, as I said, I think it's dope.  There are some things that I've had to adjust to (and I'm not big on change), but it's been pretty easy.  After only using it for a few weeks, I think I will continue to use it.
If anything I think the only downfall is that not all websites are fully functional in supporting Chrome (which is still in BETA form).  Most new things, be it software, electronics, etc., have bugs and need to make small adjustments as things are realized and they receive feedback from users.

This is just my opinion on Google Chrome.  Is there anyone out there using it?  I'm curious to hear what other people have to say :) Post a comment and let me know!

I found a couple of sites that I would like to share, if you are on the fence about Chrome these may provide you will some information to help you make the change:
The Power Users Guide To Google Chrome
There is even a FORUM!! (I'm beside myself with excitement over this!!)
Official Google Blog

3 comments:

Dana said...

Thanks for all the research you have done! I am still a little leary to switch at this point and will wait a little longer. How much faster do you really think it is than Firefox 3.0? I do like the Omnibar for the URL and search bar. I wonder how long it will stay BETA...I love Google all around but even Gmail is STILL BETA and there are options within gmail that I am still waiting to see.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Can't wait for the Mac version to come out :)

Dawn said...

I'm a diehard Firefox user, but did download and try Chrome. I didn't really care for it. Gave it about a week, and then uninstalled it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails