All images and content are Copyright © by the owner of Football, Sushi, and The Pursuit of Happiness (unless otherwise stated); please do not use or copy without permission.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hey Jealousy

jeal·ous [jel-uhs] –adjective
1. feeling resentment against someone because of that person's rivalry, success, or advantages (often fol. by of): He was jealous of his rich brother.
2. feeling resentment because of another's success, advantage, etc. (often fol. by of): He was jealous of his brother's wealth.
3. characterized by or proceeding from suspicious fears or envious resentment: a jealous rage; jealous intrigues.
4. inclined to or troubled by suspicions or fears of rivalry, unfaithfulness, etc., as in love or aims: a jealous husband.
I've always know myself to be a jealous person.  The older I get and the more I learn about life and those pesky life lessons, the more I think I need to figure out how to overcome my jealousy.  I'm aware that it's there... and I think that is the first step. 
I've been battling with this for a long time, always with the intent of changing.
 
Today I was overwhelmed by this feeling... I was on Facebook looking through the "People You Might Know" feature (which is where Facebook points out people that are friends with your friends or went to the same school as you, etc. that you may know; it's actually a pretty handy feature), I came across a name I remembered from a long time ago.
A female, someone who used to be close to a guy I was dating... I was always jealous of their relationship (even thought he assured me it was strictly a friendship), it just never sat right with me.  I've always hated her, because of that.
I looked at her profile, and noticed she is engaged.  I'm not even close to being with this guy anymore, we are still friends, but that is where it ends... I found myself still having these feelings of jealousy!  She is getting married, I'm not in a relationship with him... so what the hell is the matter with me?
 
I think I've come a long way in getting over the jealousy thing, in all aspects of my life.  I used to be a lot worse... now, I am at least (mostly) able to hide it.
There are tons of websites out there that offer ways to get over jealousy.  I'm not sure reading a website will help though... I think it's just one of those things you have to realize and make small steps with time.  That's my plan at least... small steps with time. 
 
Growing up is such an interesting experience!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails