All images and content are Copyright © by the owner of Football, Sushi, and The Pursuit of Happiness (unless otherwise stated); please do not use or copy without permission.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Zumba - Class 1

So on Monday I went to my first Zumba class - and I didn't like it.  I'm all for trying new things these days and I plan to stick with it, but I feel like it's WAY over my head.  Luckily for me, I know how to have fun (or at least act retarded when I'm embarrassed).

I get there, right on time, and see my two girlfriends standing there waving me over.  I run over and stand there rip roaring ready to go.  The instructor is having some music issues, so us girls chat about the awesome news in our lives.  Music issue resolved, let's get started.

She then busts into the fastest explanation of what we're doing I've ever seen... for a moment I questioned if maybe I signed up for an advanced Zumba class.  Everyone else seemed to not question it, so I decided to not be that girl and say "I don't get it".  I stood there moving my feet and arms as fast as they'd move to keep up.  Then she starts in with this ...5-6-7-8, which, to me, is structured dance counts... me?  I'm used to shaking my ass in the club, club dancers don't ...5-6-7-8.  So now I'm really freaking out thinking what the fuck have I gotten myself into...  I still haven't come up with the answer to that.

This chick is moving all fast and she has huge boobs so that is a major distraction (mostly because I'm curious how she is not in pain with all the bouncing - I need to find out what type of sports bra she is wearing).  She's sweating and I've barely broken a sweat... what am I doing wrong here?!  Both of my girlfriends have dance in their backgrounds, one more than the other, but still.. they've both had disciplined dance teaching - my arms move the opposite way of my feet.  I can do most of the stuff she is doing if it's slow because she did slow down a few times to show us exactly what was going on - I rocked it.  Until she turned on the music and sped it up 10 times laster than what she taught.

I left feeling extremely frustrated but trying not to show it because I was there with friends and I didn't want to be a baby - in reality I just wanted to cry.  I cry when I'm frustrated and feel like a dummy.

Like I said, I'm going to go again on Monday - and in my head, at this moment - I plan to stick it out for the 7 weeks that it runs.  I just really hope I catch on to it soon or I learn how to stand there doing jumping jacks while everyone else is doing sexy dancing.

I'll keep ya posted.

8 comments:

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Maybe it just takes some getting used to? I've heard such good things about zumba. I hope it get better!

Anonymous said...

I just started Zumba 2 weeks ago. Here's my "expert" (cough) advice:

Let loose. Don't focus so much on getting the steps exactly right. Just feel the music and try to follow the general movements of the teacher.

Don't feel self conscious because I guarantee everyone is too busy looking at themselves to care about what you're doing. "Dance like nobody's watching."

Also, it gets easier after the first class. I was a total spaz my first class, and now I look half-decent haha

You're there to exercise and have fun... you don't have to dance like Shakira haha

Keep at it and see how you like it :) But yeah, the first class is hell.

Kristi said...

Are you sure that wasn't me who had taken over your body??!! Sounds like what I would experience if I gave zumba a try!! Good for you, hopefully you'll figure it out...me? probably not!

Dana said...

I had to laugh when I read your post because I've had those same feelings that you had. I've never tried it but I did take a hip hop exercise class once and I know I looked stupid. Who cares what everyone thinks. I just hope you'll actually start to enjoy it otherwise it might be a long 7 weeks. At least it's only once a week, right? Good luck to you!

Kim Airhart said...

That's how I felt when I tried a step class once. It had to be an advanced class or I was just a moron.
Don't feel bad if you don't want to go back. The classes are supposed to make you feel good and if it's not working its okay to call it quits.

Sara Strand said...

Not that I've ever done a zumba class- but I've watched one- and yeah. Everybody was doing their own thing. :) I think once you have done the "moves" a couple of time it'll feel not as weird to you. And I've done structured dance classes for years (long ago) and sometimes I had to just flail in the background before I figured it out.

Oh, My Darling said...

I recently gave Zumba a try, too, but had a much more positive experience (despite being rhythm-challenged, and really clumsy) -- maybe it had something to do with your instructor? I think that the leader can really set the tone for everyone's experience. Hope round 2 goes well for you!

JerseySjov said...

that sucks! you probably got the one zumba instructor who thinks shes teaching a real dance class haha

its completely awesome that youre sticking with it, though :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails