All images and content are Copyright © by the owner of Football, Sushi, and The Pursuit of Happiness (unless otherwise stated); please do not use or copy without permission.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thoughts For Thursday: Scent Memories

One of the best things about living in a 'small town' is most of the time you have a straight up meat market - and I'm not talking a meat counter at the grocery store - I'm talking about a stand alone building that sells pretty much nothing but meat.
I love meat.  I won't lie.

Let me take you back...
When I was a little girl, I lived N.E. Minneapolis and our local butcher/meat market was Ready Meats - every time we were to have meat for dinner I would BEG to go with whichever of my parents were making the run to Ready's.
Walking into that place is something I won't likely ever forget... every time you walk in you're greeted with, not only a friendly staff, but the wonderful meat market smell.
The other reason I always loved going to the meat market is because my parents would always let me get a string cheese - BEST DAY EVER!  String cheese is the BOMB.

You know how they say a smell can bring you back to a memory?

Back to the little town I live in.  We have Anoka Meats, and boy are we lucky; best little meat market ever.  The other day I walked in to grab some ground beef for tacos (yep, we still used ground beef, haven't quite jumped on the ground turkey bandwagon yet) and the smell instantly brought me back to when I was a kid, walking into that meat market with my parents, smelling the smell and getting my string cheese.

It's a wonderful memory, for many reason.

I've yet to pickup a string cheese from our local meat market as an adult.. I don't think I want to ruin that childhood memory, so I probably never will.

Do you have a memory that pops up based on a smell?  Tell me about it - I have many more that I'll write up on soon!



3 comments:

Why Girls Are Weird said...

Dude, ground beef for tacos is the best. I will never ever switch to turkey.

The smell of bonfires ALWAYS makes me think of camping as a kid and my first crush. My family used to camp with a bunch of other families and one of those families had a kid named Matt. And we totally crushed on each other. The smell of bonfires always takes me back to those days, such good memories!

Sara Strand said...

Cinnamon. Cinnamon is the best smell ever and I will have candles burning all year round because it reminds me of Christmas and I effing LOVE Christmas. Everyone comments on how my house smells like Christmas, even in April, and that's kind of great.

Laura in Cancun said...

Cool fall weather has its own special smell, and it's my favorite :) I haven't been in the US during fall in a very long time, though. Miss it :(

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails