All images and content are Copyright © by the owner of Football, Sushi, and The Pursuit of Happiness (unless otherwise stated); please do not use or copy without permission.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thoughts for Thursday - Optimism

I wasn't going to do a TFT today because I have been blogging all week and I honestly needed a break.  I'm going to reschedule my last Missouri blog to post tomorrow, so stay tuned for that.  
The reason I've decided to post today is because my aunt Jayne, who is also my boss, handed me a piece of paper this morning and the words on it inspired me to write.  


I have been talking to a few people, Jayne included, about optimism.  I feel like I am a pretty pessimistic person by nature.  I always seem to focus on the negative of a given situation, even though down the road I may eventually find the positive.  A doctor friend of mine mentioned I might should read this book, so I downloaded the audio book before I left for my trip and planned to listen to it while I was driving, but I couldn't get it to burn properly, so I have yet to do anything with it.  I'm focused and determined to at least become a little bit more optimistic in my day-to-day life.  It's a hard battle to learn how to think differently and do it daily.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a negative person... I don't walk around with my head hanging down, I don't snap at people when they talk to me... I just seem to focus more on negative aspects of situations in life.  I really am a happy person.  


Here is what Jayne handed me this morning:

Time Waits for No One
Imagine there is a bank that credits your account each morning with $86,400.  It carries over no balance from day to day.  Every evening the bank deletes whatever part of the balance you failed to use during the day.  What would you do?  Draw out every cent, of course!
Each of us has such a bank.  Its name is TIME.  Every morning, you are credited with 86,400 seconds.  Every night it writes off, as lost, whatever of this you have failed to invest to good purpose.  It carries over no balance. Each day it opens a new account.  Each night it burns the remains of the day.  If you fail to use the day's deposits , the loss is yours.  There is no going back.  There is no drawing against tomorrow.  You must live in the present on today's deposit.  Invest it so as to get from it the utmost in health, happiness, and success.  Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  Today is a gift.  That's why they it's called the present.
-Author Unknown
I read that I felt moved.  I think its a great way to begin to think positive.

So my Thoughts for Thursday are these: Are you a glass half full or a glass half empty person?  Do you ever stop to try and change your focus on something to be more positive?  Have you ever battled with negative thoughts and if so, how did you overcome those thoughts?  Tell me your life experiences with positive and negative in your life and your attitude. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other TFT Posts Today:

9 comments:

BB Live Updates said...

awesome post! Has me rethinking how I spend my time and look at things, thanks Ang! Needed it!

Dawn said...

Why'd ya have to go and make me think so early in my 86,400 seconds?????

Anonymous said...

So you're going to be happy and upbeat all winter right?

Lynne said...

Great blog, but I have already wasted 32,400 seconds sleeping. I mean, I had a great sleep and am now ready for my wonderful day.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Eternal optimist here!!!

Anonymous said...

Funny that you posted this today. I had been thinking about blogging something like this. (I still might) I'm always such a positive person. No matter what I've got going on, or bad I think thing are at the time...I know that someone out there is much worse off then me. Chin up and move on. I can't control everything that happens. I don't have the time, energy or desire to sit around and be negative. I just pick up the pieces and move on. Life is to short to waste. Live everyday to it's fullest.

Michelle Leigh said...

I think overall I am a pretty positive person and generally like to believe the best in people. Maybe that's why I am let down more than I care to be. After I had Bianca I suffered with PPD and still do to this day, but I really try to find the good things that make me happy, it's no fun being negative. I know a lot of people like that though. I think it's fairly common. My mom is for sure! It's a great way to think though (that reading). Life is a gift, there is just too little of it to be half glass empty. Good for you for recognizing it and wanting to make a change. Change is the hardest thing in my opinion. Great topic!

Michael said...

I am definitely a "half full" type of person...but I didn't always think this way.

Back when I was a young teen until I was 28 years old, I didn't value life very much. I beat up my insides with bad habits, and made sure that everyone around me had a crappy day in this shxtty life too.
I had a lot of hate.
I didn't really like much of anything in life.
I used to say that "life" just wasn't for me.
I wanted to leave.

Funny saying all of this now.
Everybody that knows me today will tell you that they cannot believe that I once felt this way, and they know that I love life and am happy every single day ( OK, I still do have one or two bad days per year).
People today just cant believe that I was a negative person.
Even I have a hard time remembering it.

What happened?

Death.
I had a severe car crash that should have ended my life.
It should have changed every view that I had in life...but it didn't.
However, it did make me think a little bit about things.

About 9 months later that year I was diagnosed with a terminal disease.
The doctor told me that I had anywhere from 1 to 3 years to live.
That is where my life changed.

EVERYTHING CHANGED.

I started seeing things as beautiful miracles...and I mean everything.
A sunset was truly amazing.
The clouds were awesome.
I realized that a blade of grass that we all take for granted is one of the greatest things on earth!(go walk barefoot in some grass and then get back to me)(PS-wait until next summer though, or your little piggies will freeze!)

I realized that everything that meant a lot to me before really meant nothing to me now, and that some of the things that I never noticed or thought about before, now meant everything to me.

I could write a book on your blog about my transition, but I'm at work and need to get back at it. ;)

My whole point is this:

DO NOT WAIT FOR SOMEONE TO TELL YOU THAT YOUR LIFE IS OVER BEFORE YOU REALIZE EVERYTHING THAT I DID.
Listen to me right now.
This is your chance.
Start to appreciate everyday.

As I was dying, I would tell myself that if I could have the WORST DAY of my life back again, I would take it.
I would take a hundred of my worst days.
Thousands of them just to be alive.
...and I would change that day into a great day.
A perfect day and nothing could stop me from doing so.

This is how I live my life now.

...and guess what?
I have since been cured of my disease.

Hope this helps any and all...

Dana said...

I have always been a positive person in general and try to turn a negative into a positive if at all possible. I do have my moments when I get down and can become negative but I usually have Michael to snap me out of it and make me realize that I am healthy and alive and breathing and whatever it was that brought me down, is probably trivial.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails