All images and content are Copyright © by the owner of Football, Sushi, and The Pursuit of Happiness (unless otherwise stated); please do not use or copy without permission.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thoughts For Thursday - Extended Family

My thought for this week is extended family.  How much time people spend with family and how much people like their families.  Obviously if you are married and/or have kids, you spend time with them and hopefully like them.  ;)

I am extremely close with my dad's side of the family, not so much my mom's side.  I like mom's side just fine, but I just don't see them that often.
My dad's side is completely different.  We all get along, we love to spend time together, and we actually make plans outside of holiday functions.  I watched the Twins game the other night with my aunt, uncle, 3 of my cousins and a couple friends.  I go up North once a year with my mom, my aunts and my girl cousins for a girls weekend.  I even work with my aunt, uncle, and cousin.

We spend every holiday together, many times our get-togethers can go quite late.  We eat way too much, laugh way too hard, and have way too much fun together!  The one thing that I always love about family gatherings is hearing stories and sharing memories.  My grandma is still alive and she has some amazing stories that she loves to share, especially about my grandpa, who is no longer with us.  Grandpa died when my dad was a kid; I wish so badly that I had the chance to meet him!

My cousins, Shannon and Michelle, and I call ourselves "The Outcasts" - we are getting a hotel room together on Saturday for Jeff (another cousin) and Carissa's wedding.  We get along great, not just because we are family.

I think a lot of people think it's strange that we all look forward to holiday gatherings and make plans to have summer BBQ's or parties for no good reason.
On my dad's side of the family there is him and 3 sisters, all 4 of them (Jackie, Jill, Jayne, and John) have 2 kids, an older boy and a younger girl.  Jill's kids are married and both have a couple kids of their own, Jackie's son is getting married on Saturday and now my brother is married and has a daughter... our family is growing so much!!

This is just some of the family last year in November
So, Thoughts for Thursday: Do you get along with your family?  Do you spend a lot of time with them, outside of holidays?  Are you close to anybody in your family?  How does your family spend your time together?

***************************************************************************
Kristi on Sports Fans
Renee - "This is your Life"
Dana Leigh on Getting Picked On

4 comments:

BB Live Updates said...

I think "mashed potatos" about says it all for my answer. ;) That covers Phillips side of the family anyhow. On my side we get together some, but that is a story of it's own as well. I envy you and your familys closeness. That is what I long for my children to have as they grow up. I often tell Phillip how badly I want to be one of those familys that everyone meets at our house for Sunday lunch with our grandkids all running around and our kids sitting back and relaxing for an afternoon. Sounds divine to me, now to make it happen......

Lynne said...

You are truly blessed Ang coz most people don't have what you have. I was very close with my sister, aunt (dad's sister), grandma (mom's mom), but they have all passed away. I have a ton of cousins but they are older then I am. My dad was the youngest of 4 kids, and I refer to him as the accident. His brothers were 11 and 12 when he was born, and his sister was 14, so you can see why he was an accident. i have cousins that are close to 70, and their kids are 10 years younger then me.
So, we would get together when I was young, but most of that side is gone now, and both my parents are the last remaining ones of their families.
I am not real close with mom coz she is a control freak and drives me crazy. My dad is awesome but I usually have to go through mom to talk to him, and she listens on the other line. Ugh! My brother is pretty selfish although I know he has a big heart and would be there if I needed him, but I don't so we talk once a month maybe. I love his new girlfriend so that is definately an improvement. And I adore his kids but they live far away and I see them maybe once a year.
My family is Bill and the kids and i adore them lol. Like Renee, i can't wait to have the grandkids here for holidays and Friday dinners, or whatever. Sorry for rambling.
Just know that you are truly blessed.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

My mom comes from a family of 8 children and my dad from a family of 7 children! I am so lucky to have a huge, close family on both sides! My dad's parents died before I was born and his family became very close so even though we have a family of around 40, we still get together about 5 times a year! My mom's family is split between MN and AZ but many of us are close to each other. My AZ cousins used to come to MN for a few weeks every summer when we were kids and we always went down there, so they are like my other brothers!! My family is great and I know that I am truly lucky :)

Dana said...

Sorry for the late comment! I feel closer to my Mom's side than I do with my Dad's side of the family but I get along with my Dad's side just fine. I think it's because we do spend more holidays with my Mom's side. I have a pretty small family on both sides. I only have 9 cousins total, of which 3 are on my Dad's. I am the 2nd oldest cousin and most of them are guys. (Only 2 girl cousins-age 27 and 12) Consider yourself lucky to have a close relationship with your cousins. I do look forward to family functions also. I see my Mom's side anywhere from 3-4 times a year and my Dad's side usually only at Christmas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails